Rapp Snitch Knishes
"Mm...Delicious. Rapp Snitch Knishes."
SERVINGS: 12 LARGE KNISHES
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled & diced up
- 2 qts water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube melted in 2 oz hot water
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 box (2 sheets) puff pastry, thawed (take out of the freezer at least 30 minutes before starting)
- flour, for dusting your workspace
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Place diced potatoes in 2 qts of cold water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, and cook until fork-tender, about 10-12 minutes
- Meanwhile, put chicken bouillon melted in the hot water into a frying pan. Add onions and sauté until softened and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes.
- Mix together potatoes, onions, salt & pepper, butter and milk, mashing and mixing to a smooth consistency. Set aside, cooling the mixture to room temperature.
Assemble & Bake
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Lightly dust workspace with flour. Lay one sheet of puff pastry on table, and mound a rectangular "log" of filling across the length of the pastry sheet, leaving 1” on both ends
- Roll pastry over filling. With seam-side down, cut into sections.
- Take each section and put on its end, and take top of dough, squeezing, pulling and twisting to form a top seal. Repeat with each knish.
- Dip each knish (sealed top-down) into egg wash and place top-up on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake 15 minutes, rotate sheet tray, bake 15 minutes longer, until puffed and golden
- Serve with spicy mustard.